Getting support to stay in work and to take breaks from your caring responsibilities in England

England | Factsheet | Legal Social and Financial

A factsheet for parents

This factsheet explains what to do if you need help to care for a disabled child so that you can work or have a break from your caring responsibilities.

childcare and respite england
First published 2020. This edition 2020. Review date 2023.

How helpful was this information?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

This information was produced under the terms of our information production process.

Related Downloads

Accessing Public Services Toolkit

The Accessing Public Services Toolkit supports children with brain conditions and their carers in accessing the health, social care and education support services they are entitled to.
Social Care in England - Cerebra the charity for children with brain conditions

Social Care in England

This guide has been prepared for parents of disabled children in England who want to know how to get help for their child’s social care needs.

We want to ask for an assessment of our family’s needs (England)

Use this letter to ask for an assessment of your child’s needs or your needs as a carer.

We want to make a complaint about the councils refusal to carry out an assessment (England)

Use this letter if the council have refused to carry out an assessment of your family’s needs.

Make a Donation

Please help support our vital work that enriches the lives of thousands of children and their families every day.

Cerebra Count Me In Lottery

Count Me In Lottery

Taking part in our ‘Count Me In’ Lottery is a wonderful way to make a real difference to children with brain conditions and their families. It also means you are in with a chance to win our big weekly prize.

Sleep Service

Sleep Advice Service


Legal Rights Service

Parent Guides

Parent Guides

Cerebra Innovation Centre

Cerebra Innovation Centre


Toy and Book Library