Personal Independence Payments (PIP) Signposting

13 March 2020

We share a little bit about Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and signpost to more detailed information.

Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16-64 has been replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP). This means that if your child is 16 (or older) and wishes to make a new claim then they will have to claim PIP rather than DLA. Children who are already receiving DLA and then turn 16 will gradually be re-assessed for PIP. This is an ongoing process that is not due to be completed until the end of 2020.

Once your child reaches 16 they will be invited to claim PIP rather than being sent a renewal DLA form. You must then contact the DWP to ‘accept their invitation’ otherwise they will assume that you do not want to make a claim. A PIP claim form will then be sent to you. PIP is assessed by completion of the claim form and then a face-to-face consultation.

Like DLA there are two components, the Daily Living Component and the Mobility Component, but with two rates for each component, standard rate and enhanced rate. For more detailed information and advice on PIP, please see the resources below:

PIP Resources

Disability Law Service

By calling: 0207 791 9800

By emailing: [email protected]

Carers UK

Helpline: Mondays and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm – 0808 808 7777

Disability Rights UK


Helpline – 0808 808 3555

Advice Now:


– 0808 802 2000, 9.00 am – 5.30 pm Mondays-Fridays (except bank holidays).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Make a Donation

Please help support our vital work that enriches the lives of thousands of children and their families every day.

Sleep Service

Sleep Advice Service


Legal Rights Service

Parent Guides

Parent Guides

Cerebra Innovation Centre

Cerebra Innovation Centre


Toy and Book Library