The Welsh Government has launched a consultation on a code of practice dedicated to the delivery of autism services in Wales. It closes on 14 December 2020. The consultation document can be found here together with supporting guidance.
The consultation covers:
- assessment and diagnosis
- accessing health and social care services
- raising awareness and training
- planning, monitoring and stakeholder engagement
The consultation document explains that:
The Code of Practice on the Delivery of Autism Services (the Code) has been developed in response to feedback from autistic people and their families and/or carers, seeking clarity on the services they should expect to be available in Wales. It sets out the duties placed on local authorities and health bodies about the range and quality of services that should be available in their local areas. The Code reinforces the legal frameworks already in place by specifying provisions for autism services. More detail on the interpretation of duties is in a guidance document accompanying this Code.
The Code is for:
- autistic people, including those with other co-existing conditions
- providers of social care and health support for autistic people and their families and/or carers
- practitioners in social care and health who work with autistic people and their families and/or carers
- commissioners and people with a strategic role in assessing and planning local services for autistic people and their families and/or carers
- practitioners in other related services providing support for autistic people and their families and/or carers, for example employment, education and criminal justice
- service providers and practitioners providing services for autistic people with co-existing conditions.